Sustainable tourism development requires the informed participation of all relevant stakeholders, as well as strong political leadership to ensure wide participation and consensus building. Achieving sustainable tourism is a continuous process and it requires constant monitoring of impacts, introducing the necessary preventive and/or corrective measures whenever necessary.
Sustainable tourism should also maintain a high level of tourist satisfaction and ensure a meaningful experience to the tourists, raising their awareness about sustainability issues and promoting sustainable tourism practices amongst them.
Sustaining Tourism’s Guide to Being a Responsible Traveler
- Be considerate – of the communities and environment you visit.
- Don’t litter. Try to carry your own shopping bag to avoid contributing to the plastic problem in many countries of the world.
- Try to avoid excessive waste and the use of plastic bottles (in many countries there is no way of disposing of these, therefore creating plastic mountains due to tourism) – bring your own and consider purifying your own water & remove all packaging before leaving home.
- Reduce energy consumption. Unplug your mobile phone charger, turn off the lights…
- Conserve water. Take shorter showers… the average hotel guest uses over 300 liters of water per night! In a luxury hotel it is approx. 1800 liters!
- Always ask before taking photographs. If someone says no, respect their wishes.
- Educate yourself about the place you are visiting and the people.
- Respect cultural differences – and learn from it! People in different places do things differently – don’t try to change them – enjoy them.
- Dress respectively. Cover up away from the beach. Cover your head in religious places. Notice local dress codes and adhere to them.
- Do not purchase or eat endangered species (e.g. turtle egg soup, crocodile handbags). Choose sustainable seafood
- Support the local economy. Buy locally made souvenirs, eat at local restaurants – enjoy the local culture!
- Do not give pens, candy or other gifts to local children – it fosters a begging economy. If you wish to donate, contact a local school or tour operator who can ensure the gifts are distributed fairly and properly.
- Do not support the illegal drug trade or the sex trade.
- Take public transit. Or if you must rent a car – why not a hybrid or electric one if available?
- Support a local charity or organization that works towards responsible.
- Before you go, ask your travel provider (tour operator, travel agent) about the company’s environmental and responsible tourism policies – support those who support responsible tourism.
- Ask your accommodation provider (hotel, guest house, lodge) about their sustainability practices – do they compost? Recycle? Have fair labour laws? Have an environmental policy?
- Support responsible tourism organizations – those operators who publicly are aiming to make tourism more responsible.
- Support local organizations – either in the place you visit or where you live.
Note: We organize Tribal and Village Tours in Madhya Pradesh based on principles of Responsible or sustainable Tourism. The packages are with the very basic amenities but close to culture and tradition of rural India.
As our responsibility towards the society and country we offer many Tour plan designed keeping Responsible and Sustainable Tourism in mind. When you take a responsible holiday you are ensuring that the money you spend stays locally, which might mean staying in a family owned lodge on the edge of a river, instead of a multinational chain behind gates. Discovering diverse eateries which not only source their food close to home but also celebrate local cuisine as part of their culture. This might be in a remote Tribal area in India like Jhabua, Dhar, Barwani, a Valley in dense Forest known as Patalkot in Tamia Thesil or near to Kanha National Park in Mandla or going river rafting, Jungle Walk or fishing with a local people.
Please follow the link below for some Packages based on Responsible Tourism.
Planet Dreamz welcomes you to Madhya Pradesh. Be our guest and give a chance to serve you the best……………………………………………………..